Once again, a Pioneer Woman recipe is tops around here. I absolutely LOVE her recipes, although I am going to have to figure out ways to cut down on the fat in them. :( This time around we tried out her Cauliflower Soup. I made a few slight changes as shown below.
PW Cauliflower Soup
1 stick butter
1/2 onion, finely diced
8 carrots, finely diced
3 celery stalks, finely diced
1 head cauliflower, roughly diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or dried parsley
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups 2% milk
6 tablespoons flour
1 cup fat free half and half
2 to 4 teaspoons salt, to taste
1 generous cup sour cream, at room temperature (I didn’t use this at all.....)
In large pot melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion and cook for a bit until starts to turn brown. Add carrots and celery and cook for a few more minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes. Then pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
In another saucepan melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add flour and make a roux. Add 1 cup half and half stirring constantly until smooth. Add this mixture to the soup. Allow pot of soup to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add salt and/or pepper as desired.
We loved it just like this, but the recipe called for placing the cup of sour cream in the serving bowl and pouring the soup in on top of that. I am sure that is yummy, but we didn’t need it flavorwise and elected to not add that fat and calories.
This was a nice, hearty soup, especially with the extra carrots and celery.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!