Saturday, September 1, 2007

Every Season


I went to the Amish store today for more bread baking supplies. I always look forward to going. Not only because of the wonderful things I can find at the Amish store, but because of the whole experience. I enjoy the quiet, scenic drive past farms (many of them Amish) and the quiet of the store itself (no Muzak playing, no “electrical hum” of modern conveniences). On each trip I slowly walk the shadowy rows of shelves, looking at each item, even though I have it all memorized at this point. I still love looking at the bags of grain, smelling the wonderful spices, seeing if I can spot something new. In the quiet you can overhear the conversations of other customers. I especially love it when the Amish children speak in German. No, I can’t understand their words, but I love the “lyric” of their voices. I linger as long as I can, taking it all in. Then I make my purchases, load them up and head back for town. I think I enjoy my trips to the Amish store because they help me remember to slow down and savor the journey.

Some days, if I am lucky, I get to wait at the crossing for the trains. Today was such a day. I got to wait on not only 1 train, but 2!! I could tell the guy in the truck behind me was getting impatient and I felt sort of sorry for him. Trains should be enjoyed! I remember as a child there was a train track near my home. We would often get stopped by a train in the afternoon on our way home. I LOVED when that happened and would wait with great expectation for the red caboose (there always WAS a red caboose back then!) and the cheerful wave of the conductor.



Driving home today I noticed that everyone seemed to be out and about - we are all determined to squeeze every last ounce out of summer that we can. One final barbeque with family, one final ice cream cone outside under the awning at the small town corner cafe. Yet, clearly, fall is in the air. Perhaps because of our severe drought, trees are already starting to turn and even the sky has that crisp fall look to it. 


As I drove, I listened to Nichole Nordeman sing Every Season. That song always touches me so deeply. And today, it brought me to tears. On the surface, the song is a beautiful song of thanksgiving for creation - for the seasons. But today as I listened to her sing about Autumn, about being “braced for colder winds, offering thanks for what has been and what’s to come”.... my thoughts turned to all the prayer requests we have been receiving the last couple of weeks. And the way they have been weighing so heavily on my heart. I do get the uneasy feeling that we are indeed heading into a season of “Winter”. But I rejoice that we can put our hope in the coming of “Spring”.

For now, I will keep enjoying my trips to the Amish store. Savoring the journey and the waiting on trains. I will continue to hold up my family and friends in prayer and offer thanks for Every Season - for what has been and what’s to come. And I will look forward to the renewing of “Spring”. 





2 Comments
Laura
Some have asked about the prayer needs. If you would like, would you pray for Annette Collins (Mom of young children - has a brain tumor), Sylvia Douglas (Mom/pastor's wife with agressive, rare, Stage 4 cancer) and Allen Schofield (30 something youth minister paralyzed from neck down in recent motorcycle accident).
Sunday, September 2, 2007 - 02:01 PM

Dana
We used to live near an Amish community. It was like stepping back in time, in a way, but different, too. I really enjoyed it, but always wish you could get to know them better.
They were polite, but not too talkative.
Wednesday, September 5, 2007 -03:00 AM 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!