This was a winner. Jonathan LOVES Campbell’s Chicken and Rice soup. Finally, I realized that I could make my own homemade version just about as easily as opening up a can. We found a recipe online and modified it a bit to come up with a new family favorite. I love that this is quick and easy and oh so comforting.
Chicken and Rice Soup
1 large can of chicken broth (about 6 cups)
2 cups water
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 package Uncle Ben’s Country Inn Chicken and Wild Rice
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. pepper
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
2 cups half and half (or you can use milk)
Combine chicken broth, water, chicken and rice (minus the seasoning packet) in large pot and bring to a slow boil. Then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes or until rice is fully cooked .
While this is simmering, melt butter in saucepan and add flour, salt, pepper and seasoning packet from rice. Whisk until blended. Slowly add in half and half (or milk) and stir while on medium heat until thickened. (about 5 minutes) Stir cream mixture into broth mixture. Cook until heated through.
Note - I usually end up adding a bit more skim milk because we don’t like it too creamy. You can add more broth, milk or even water to get it to the consistency you like.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!