![]() |
| in skillet before tossing with pasta... |
Deb invited us over for a lovely Mom’s luncheon last month and fed us like royalty! Her promised PB&J’s turned into fruit tray, cheese and crackers, hummus & spread and an amazing Greek Pasta dish. She ended it with pumpkin cheesecake. We all decided she can have us over for “PB&J’s” anytime!! :)
Quick & Healthy Greek Pasta Salad
(Originally from an Eating Well magazine some years ago.)
The recipe says it makes 8 servings, and that they're 460-480 calories each - but as you saw, it actually makes a giant bowl, and I'd say is way more like 12 servings. If you add some bread, wine, and cheesecake, though, I think it's more like 48099 calories. And yep, you can actually get all these ingredients at Wal-mart (whether you'd like to or not!).
- 1 pound whole wheat penne pasta (if Hyvee, look in the organic section)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (I actually didn't use, I think it makes the pasta a little greasy)
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 pounds lean beef or lamb (cut into thin strips)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or a little more, depending on how much meat you use)
- 2 cups sun-dried tomato pesto (look in the pasta sauce aisle for pre-made)
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1.5 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 - 1/2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
- 1-1.5 cups sliced black olives (depending on how much you like olives)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (I actually like to use an entire organic box)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. When cooked, drain, then toss with olive oil, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the rib-eye on both sides until rosy-pink in the center, then stir in the garlic and shallots. Cook thoroughly, then stir in the soy sauce, and cook a few seconds longer, allowing it to evaporate.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the sun-dried tomato pesto, olives, basil, parsley, 1 cup feta cheese and sunflower kernels. Toss with the pasta and the spinach in a large bowl and top with remaining 1/2 cup feta cheese. (I usually "wilt" the spinach in the microwave first, so it is easier to mix in.)
Bon appetite!





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!