Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Happy Birthday, Jackson!

Well, as of 11:37 this morning, I am now the mother of an official “preteen”.  Jackson turned 12 today and he definitely wants me to remember his new status.  :)  Funny thing is, the more he reminds me of his “agedness” the more I find myself drifting back 12 years in my memories.


My 12 year old boy
My sister Julie and I share an unusual talent... we were both able to go into full blown labor in the middle of the Super Bowl.  She with Anna, me with Jackson.  Julie says she remembers being in triage and as she was counting through her contractions she could hear Dads (and doctors) all up and down the hall shouting at the TV’s.  Nothing like focusing on the miracle of birth.  :)  I can still remember calling my doctor’s answering service to let them know I was in labor and being asked, repeatedly, “Are you SURE???  Seriously?? Now???”

I was so nervous.... not only was it my first baby but my doctor was on vacation.  “Don’t worry, I deliver MY babies” he had assured me before he left town..... for Hawaii.  When we arrived at the hospital we were met by a very kind stand in doctor (who I did overhear asking if anyone knew a score...) and we settled in for labor.  But pretty soon we became aware that things were not going as they were supposed to.  They began monitoring Jackson more closely via an internal probe attached to his head.  “Get your rest” they told me - but all I could focus on was the sound of his heart beat echoing out of the machine; counting the rhythm and learning how to turn my body when the rate went down too much.  Praying that he would be okay.

To my GREAT surprise and amazement, we received word around 5:00 a.m. that my doctor was, in fact, flying home!  His nurse reminded me, “Dr. Presley delivers HIS babies”.  We continued to hear updates of his journey..... “He’s reached the Dallas airport!”  “He is in the air again….”  16 hours after my labor began, Dr. Presley walked in my room and took my hand.  I was stunned with gratitude.  “We have to do a C-section and we need to do it right now,” he told me.  I still remember what I said to him.... “We can’t do that.  I didn’t read the chapter on C-sections!”  :)  Nevertheless, we were on our way.

Finally, at 11:37 that icy Monday morning, we welcomed our healthy first born son.  It really doesn’t seem all that long ago...… 




We start them young around here!
Jackson with Grandpa Jack and Frosty

checking out his Bulldog temporary tattoo   :)

Jackson, my little cutie


his first 'wheels'


make that wish!






 page2image13232 page2image13568


4 Comments 
chris 
What a great story, I can't believe your doctor flew back from Hawaii, that is amazing! I wonder if he flew back to Hawaii after he was done. Happy Birthday to Jackson, enjoy creating more memories.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 09:27 PM


page3image904
donna
Wow, I can't believe your doctor flew back! My doctor didn't make it for delivery 2 out of 3 times. The nurse delivered both of my boys--but I remember not caring a bit at the time, as long as somebody did it!

I was only at the hospital for 2 hours the first time, 13 minutes the second, and the third time the doctor had just gone into surgery when Luke got in a big hurry and showed up.
I had to pay full price each time, though.
Tuesday, January 29, 2008 - 11:42 PM

julie
Yes, that's awesome Laura. Out of 4, my doctor's delivered NONE of my babies. What a great dr. you picked. I can relate to the C section story as well. Happy Birthday Jackson. Laura, do you need a tissue?
Wednesday, January 30, 2008 -09:25 AM

Kristine
Enjoyed your story, Laura! I agree, it's funny how I see my kids' birthdays so differently than they do!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JACKSON! (And Laura and Marvin too!)
Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 09:35 PM 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!