![]() |
| Uncle Harold with his prize winning team, Ted and Pat |
We lost a very dear man this past week... my Great Uncle Harold.
It seems that ALL of us grew up knowing and admiring Uncle
Harold..... across the generations. From my father, his siblings and
cousins - to my generation all the way to the generation of my own
children. For them, he was a great-great uncle. Yet, we all had a
special relationship with him.... isn’t that amazing? I think it was a
testament to his powerful personality.
I know my personal memories of Uncle Harold center around his pulling horse team, Ted and Pat. Growing up we followed him around the midwest to many pulling horse events. Harold always knew how to make a grand entrance. I have vivid memories of watching him drive onsite in his big red dually pickup pulling that huge horse trailer behind. I had never seen anything like it - so grand and BIG! That horse trailer was my secret haven. Uncle Harold would often let me hang out in the living quarters (complete with a kitchen and dining booth) to read my books. That made me feel very special, indeed.
![]() |
| Uncle Harold visiting with Anna and James |
![]() |
| Uncle Harold with Jackson |
![]() |
| Harold with Charles, Jack, and Marvin |
![]() |
| Harold with Mitch, Charles, and Marvin |
![]() |
| Daddy with Uncle Harold |
I know my personal memories of Uncle Harold center around his pulling horse team, Ted and Pat. Growing up we followed him around the midwest to many pulling horse events. Harold always knew how to make a grand entrance. I have vivid memories of watching him drive onsite in his big red dually pickup pulling that huge horse trailer behind. I had never seen anything like it - so grand and BIG! That horse trailer was my secret haven. Uncle Harold would often let me hang out in the living quarters (complete with a kitchen and dining booth) to read my books. That made me feel very special, indeed.
![]() |
| Uncle Harold and Laura |
However, I was just as drawn to the stands to sit and watch him
with his team of horses, Ted and Pat. They were world famous!
Uncle Harold put on a great show - talking to his team, making
adjustments, never pushing them too much - always just enough... to
WIN! I was fascinated with his horsemanship.
Harold was a big, strapping man - so strong. He was still working on the farm well into his 80’s - even working with his team of pulling horses.
![]() |
| Uncle Harold with Ted and Pat - world champion pulling horse team |
Harold was a big, strapping man - so strong. He was still working on the farm well into his 80’s - even working with his team of pulling horses.
![]() |
| Uncle Harold out on the farm with his team - at the age of 83. |
A few years ago my Daddy, Uncle Charles and Uncle Mitch decided
to help spruce up Harold’s barn. His barn had always been a show-
stopper with big letters proclaiming the name of the farm. But, the
letters had fallen into disrepair. The 3 of them worked together and
hand made new letters for the barn. It was a great day when they
were able to see them placed on the barn again. Harold, always up
for a joke, even posed at the bottom of the ladder with a drill in his
hand - looking as though HE had just come down from putting up
the new sign. :) (Just another days work for this 89 year old!)
![]() |
| Harold 'finishing putting up the sign.' ;D |
![]() |
| Jackson at Harold's farm |
When I grew up and married a horseman of my own, I was proud to
introduce him to my Uncle Harold. Harold took to Marvin immediately and
recognized a kindred spirit - a true fellow horseman. Marvin
recently began to join with my father and 2 uncles for their annual weekend camping and riding horses on Harold’s farm. Marvin became
“one of the boys” as Harold called them.
![]() |
| the day Harold and Marvin first met - 2/20/94 |
Harold had a long, full life - 91 years. We last saw him just two
weeks before he passed away and he was not the same man we
knew.... that was a painful visit, but it helped in letting him go. We
will always remember and love that big, strong horseman - our
beloved Uncle Harold.
Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 03:12 AM
3 Comments
Amy
I'm sorry for your loss. What great memories and beautiful pictures you have of him!
Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:33 AM
Yvonne
You mentioned the change in Uncle Harold that helped you let him go. It rung a chord in my heart as I've been thinking about my Nanna recently. My great-grandma passed away years ago, but she too, changed in such a way that I wanted her to be free with the Lord. God is good to ready our hearts. He prepares us all for
eternity. Just pondering this morning...
Your words are full of love and fondness. Thanks for sharing.
Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:54 AM
kathy in Wa
Great pictures! So sorry for your loss.
Amy
I'm sorry for your loss. What great memories and beautiful pictures you have of him!
Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:33 AM
Yvonne
You mentioned the change in Uncle Harold that helped you let him go. It rung a chord in my heart as I've been thinking about my Nanna recently. My great-grandma passed away years ago, but she too, changed in such a way that I wanted her to be free with the Lord. God is good to ready our hearts. He prepares us all for
eternity. Just pondering this morning...
Your words are full of love and fondness. Thanks for sharing.
Monday, March 10, 2008 - 09:54 AM
kathy in Wa
Great pictures! So sorry for your loss.


















No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!