| saying good-bye to Candace and Susanna before they left town |
Family. In case you hadn’t noticed already, family is very important
to me. :) I come from a long line of folks who treasure family. Ours is a family of deep and abiding faith. This is the legacy that has
been handed down through many generations - and it is a legacy
that I am so thankful for. I cannot imagine going through all the
day to to day joys, pain, excitement and turmoil without my faith
and my family. This past week with Candace’s father passing away
is just another example of the comfort that we can offer to each
other - the strength we can find together - through God’s grace.
I realize how extremely blessed I am. I do not take this gift lightly or for granted. I know that this isn’t the norm for many folks. Yet, I also know that many generations before me have worked hard at this family thing - at making it look so simple. There have been so many others who paved the way - strengthening the ties and planting the roots that hold so firmly today.
We have had many difficult times this month of March. 2 funerals and many serious illnesses among my aunts and uncles. “Family” has been on my heart and in my prayers so often in recent weeks. But, as a family of faith, we know these are only temporary problems - even if they do wear at our minds and hearts.
When I look at the faces of my family (those here as well as those who are gone) I can so clearly see a picture of God’s love and grace shining through each and every one of them. And I am forever grateful, awed and humbled by this priceless gift of family.
I realize how extremely blessed I am. I do not take this gift lightly or for granted. I know that this isn’t the norm for many folks. Yet, I also know that many generations before me have worked hard at this family thing - at making it look so simple. There have been so many others who paved the way - strengthening the ties and planting the roots that hold so firmly today.
We have had many difficult times this month of March. 2 funerals and many serious illnesses among my aunts and uncles. “Family” has been on my heart and in my prayers so often in recent weeks. But, as a family of faith, we know these are only temporary problems - even if they do wear at our minds and hearts.
When I look at the faces of my family (those here as well as those who are gone) I can so clearly see a picture of God’s love and grace shining through each and every one of them. And I am forever grateful, awed and humbled by this priceless gift of family.
2 Comments
Kerry
A beautiful reflection, Laura!
Psa. 78:1-6: O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old — what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:17 AM
jenny
What a beautiful post! Having a close family truly is a blessing. You're right, strong families come from what the generation before has done to strengthen and keep the ties strong. I recently wrote a post about my Grandma. She gave me such a strong sense of family that I know (without even thinking about it) I will pass along to my children.
Have a great week! Jenny
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:26 AM
A beautiful reflection, Laura!
Psa. 78:1-6: O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old — what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel, which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children, so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children.
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 08:17 AM
jenny
What a beautiful post! Having a close family truly is a blessing. You're right, strong families come from what the generation before has done to strengthen and keep the ties strong. I recently wrote a post about my Grandma. She gave me such a strong sense of family that I know (without even thinking about it) I will pass along to my children.
Have a great week! Jenny
Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:26 AM
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!