Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Boston Baked Beans



The boys said they were ‘tired’ of my yummy Prairie Schooner Baked Beans... (how is that possible!!??)   ...so I decided to try a new recipe.  I found this one and they did turn out pretty yummy.  

Here is the link to the original recipe.  I will note the changes that I made in my version below.  

2 cups dried navy beans (I think I used more... I used a full bag)
1/2 pound bacon
1 onion, finely chopped
*3 tablespoons molasses
*2 teaspoons salt
*1/4 teaspoon pepper
*1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
*1/2 cup ketchup
*1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
*1/4 cup brown sugar
    *note - I increased the amounts on every one of these ingredients.  I doubled some.... went by look and taste.  Just experiment.  I also added a good amount of garlic.  :)

I also added in a couple cans of Bush’s Baked Beans before I baked these.  I hadn’t really made enough for the amount of people I needed to feed.  It worked out just fine.

Soak the bean overnight in cold water.  Then simmer the beans in that same water for 1 - 2 hours until tender.  Fry up the bacon and chop in pieces.  Heat together the ‘sauce’ ingredients and then pour over the beans in your baking pan.  (the original recipe says to layer the ingredients)  Add water as needed then cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 - 4 hours.  (check beans periodically and add more water if need be.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!