Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Whitt's BBQ Turkey Sandwich




I was SO hoping that this recipe would work out.  When we lived in Nashville we were addicted to Whitt’s BBQ.   I STILL have cravings for it - even now, 14 years later!  There is just no other BBQ quite like Whitt’s.  My favorite of all is their BBQ turkey sandwich.  I began searching for recipes that might be like their turkey sandwich and ended up combining several recipes to come up with this one.  It actually turned out quite yummy!  Certainly close enough for living 500 miles from the nearest Whitt’s!  Just wish I could replicate the unique coleslaw that ‘should’ be served on top of this sandwich.  I’ll try harder to make that work next time around.  
*update* - I have finally replicated that slaw and the recipe is found here...

I bought a turkey breast and prepared it with a dry rub.  Just mix these ingredients together and rub over the complete surface of the turkey breast.

For dry rub:


3 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar

3 tablespoons paprika

2 tablespoons coarse salt

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper



Then I placed the turkey in my stone combo with about a cup of water.  I put it in the oven at 250 and left it there for several hours - probably about 4 - 5 hours.  (can’t totally remember!)  

When the turkey was cooked I let it cool, then shredded it and put it in the fridge for the next day.  

One of the keys to the turkey sandwich, for me, was the famous white sauce that was served with it.  I discovered that this is called an ‘Alabama white sauce’.  In looking through many recipes I finally settled on one that seemed most like what I remembered.  Make this sauce and keep it in the fridge for up to a week or two.  You serve it on top of the shredded turkey, preferably with dill pickles and a vinegar slaw!   :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • ¼  cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp. dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder 
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • ½ tsp. salt
Preparation:

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before using. Brush lightly over chicken, turkey or pork during the last few minutes of grilling. This barbecue sauce is also great as a dipping sauce so set some aside before you start grilling to serve on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!