At the beginning of January Donna had a great post on her blog about her special Dad and his new “wheels” specially made for him by her brother. I LOVED the picture she posted and was touched by the story. Donna and I became email buddies after that and I shared a story
with her about Marvin’s “seeing eye bike”, promising to blog about
it some day. Well, today is the day!
Many years ago Marvin and I lived in Nashville. One day as we were heading out the door to take a bike ride, my Dad happened to call. I quickly told him we were about to go biking and could I call him back. There was a long pause on his end of the line.... followed by his questioning tone.... “Can Marvin DO that?” Now, what you need to know is that Marvin is legally blind and Daddy knew we lived in a rather high traffic neighborhood. I explained to Daddy that we had our “system” for bike riding and assured him that Marvin would be okay.
But then we got an idea to play a bit of a joke on Daddy. We decided to use a couple of Marvin’s walking canes to create a “seeing eye bike”. Our only problem was that we couldn’t get the canes to attach to either of our bikes. We solved that problem by dropping in on our neighbor, Beverly, and borrowing her bike (complete with basket to attach the canes to) for our “famous” photograph. To our knowledge, this was the world’s first (and last) “seeing eye bike”. :)
Many years ago Marvin and I lived in Nashville. One day as we were heading out the door to take a bike ride, my Dad happened to call. I quickly told him we were about to go biking and could I call him back. There was a long pause on his end of the line.... followed by his questioning tone.... “Can Marvin DO that?” Now, what you need to know is that Marvin is legally blind and Daddy knew we lived in a rather high traffic neighborhood. I explained to Daddy that we had our “system” for bike riding and assured him that Marvin would be okay.
But then we got an idea to play a bit of a joke on Daddy. We decided to use a couple of Marvin’s walking canes to create a “seeing eye bike”. Our only problem was that we couldn’t get the canes to attach to either of our bikes. We solved that problem by dropping in on our neighbor, Beverly, and borrowing her bike (complete with basket to attach the canes to) for our “famous” photograph. To our knowledge, this was the world’s first (and last) “seeing eye bike”. :)
In case you are curious about my dear husband.... you can discover more at this link.
2 Comments
Donna
Oh this is great! I love your sense of humor. When you told me about the bike, I just couldn't quite picture what you'd done. It makes perfect sense now. :)
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 -09:11 PM
Kristine
Ha, that is TOO funny!
Saturday, March 1, 2008 - 06:27 PM
Donna
Oh this is great! I love your sense of humor. When you told me about the bike, I just couldn't quite picture what you'd done. It makes perfect sense now. :)
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 -09:11 PM
Kristine
Ha, that is TOO funny!
Saturday, March 1, 2008 - 06:27 PM

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!