Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Italian Pork Chops with Stewed Potatoes


top left is the Italian pork chops served on top of stewed potatoes



This is one of those comfort food recipes that always reminds me of Mom.  Everyone here likes it, although they eat it with varying levels of the tomato topping.  :)  

Brown pork chops in olive oil.  (I used pork tenderloin this time around.)  Remove from pan and saute sliced onion in the same skillet.  You can also add a couple of garlic cloves at this point.  When the onions are browed put the chops back in the pan and cover with the onions.  Then pour a can of petite diced tomatoes over the top of it all.  I like to use petite diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil - or the kind with sweet onions - but you can use plain.  Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the top then cover the skillet with a lid and let simmer for awhile.  When pork chops are cooked through serve chop over *stewed potatoes and cover it all with the tomato ‘sauce’.  We served this with sauteed cabbage.

*What are stewed potatoes?  Fast and easy mashed potatoes!  Peel and cut up potatoes into large chunks and place in pan of salted boiling water.  When they are cooked to desired softness drain some of the water (I like to pour the water into another pan in case I need some of it back!)  then add several tablespoons of butter to pan.  Add salt and pepper and let sit for a couple minutes.  You then serve the potatoes on the plate and slightly mash them with a fork.  Pour some of the buttery potato liquid over them. Yum!

I often serve this with sauteed cabbage and onions, as shown on left


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!