Friday, November 21, 2008

Baking and a Basement Update

Apparently, I am liking strange combinations for titles tonight...  :)  This was definitely a heavy baking week for me.  Wednesday I baked all day long.  I made 19 loaves of bread (Herb, Honey, Wheat, Cinnamon Raisin, and Multi Grain) and then I made Pumpkin cookies, Monster cookies, Craisin Apricot cookies, Banana Oatmeal muffins, and dinner rolls.




Tonight was a slower night.  I made 12 loaves of bread (Oatmeal, Multi Grain, Honey Molasses, and Honey Wheat) and then made 2 big batches of Pecan Sticky Buns.  Luckily, I had some sticky buns left over for Marvin... he wouldn't have taken it too well if ALL the baking had been done for others! :)  This is definitely the beginning of my busy season.



Here is part of the bread haul... the batch of Cinnamon Raisin bread was still in the oven.  Please disregard the dirty top of my deep freezer...




Then the basement update...
The basement is looking great!  Tomorrow Mom and I will go look for carpet.  I am wanting a nicer indoor/outdoor carpet like Mom has in her basement.  It is a very nice carpet, not like the old indoor/outdoor carpets I remember from years ago, but it wears incredibly well.  I want to not feel panicked every time someone spills something or we spring a leak in the basement!  Indoor/outdoor carpet will help with that.

Here is the wall color that Jackson and I picked out.  It is called "Oat Straw" by Behr.  I really like it! It looks sort of 'pukey' next to the current green painted concrete floor, but try to look past that for now... okay?  :)



Actually, it looks more green in the above photo... hmmmm... take a look at this one.  It is a better representation.


still looks sort of 'pukey' green in this photo...

And because I am quite sure that Jackson would want the world to know about his ultra way cool Mom, I will share a part of our paint buying experience with you here.

Jackson and I were at Home Depot looking at paint chips and found just the right one (Behr "Oat Straw").  I turned around to take the chip to the friendly paint lady at the counter... and turned right smack into a big pillar that someone had snuck up and placed behind me.  I am just sure of it!  No problem, I bounced right off and handed the lady my paint chip.  I turned to say something to Jackson... who had suddenly found something very interesting to do in the next aisle... far away from ME!  I dutifully joined him.  :)  After awhile we wandered back to the paint lady to see how our paint was coming along.  She pulled a can out of the shaker and opened the lid to see the color.  I immediately notice that the color was really NOT what I had been expecting to see and exclaimed, "Oh my, I guess that will dry a lot different?  That color is just AWFUL!"  It was, of course, right at the moment that I realized this wasn't MY paint I was looking at, it was the paint of the OTHER lady waiting at the counter.  Oops... is it too late to say, "well, it isn't THAT ugly..."?  I could have crawled under a rock.  And Jackson was (again) no where to be found!  ;)

Once I found Jackson, I made him carry all the paint cans out to the car.  I knew he wanted to be sure to be seen with me, his WAY cool Mom.  :)



10 Comments 

Debbie
Wow, great baked goods and just love the "cool" mom story...two in one shopping visit...you rock!
Saturday, November 22, 2008 05:56 PM

Lisa in ME
Okay so I want to know your cooking set-up. That's some SERIOUS cooking/baking!!! I'm done in with just two loaves a bread every other day. LOL It all looks VERY yummy. ;-)
Saturday, November 22, 2008 07:14 PM

Laura
Yes, Debbie I am quite sure Jackson is looking forward to going out in public with me again as soon as possible. :)

Lisa One batch of bread is typically 5 loaves so the bread goes pretty easily once you get in a rhythm with it. The cookies and muffins on the other hand.... that wore me out! :I still have dough left over and just can't bring myself to make them up! :)
Saturday, November 22, 2008 07:29 PM

Jodi
Looks great! Both the baking and the basement!!
Sunday, November 23, 2008 07:59 AM

Hannah
yum yum!! And Aunt Laura, if this is any comfort, at least it runs in the family and you're not the worst. ;-P YOU don't do pirouettes in the Pizza Hut parking lot, run into poles on PURPOSE and fall on your back just for the point of embarrassing your kids, or answer the telephone in ways that make them squirm. So Jackson, just be thankful, it could be worse....
Monday, November 24, 2008 10:16 PM

Laura
Hannah You are right! You are blessed with my wonderful brother as your goofy Dad! :But, at least HE does it all on purpose! I am just a goof! However, I will remind Jackson that he has much to be thankful for.... :Ha!
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 09:20 PM


Cynthia
Ok. That is some serious baking! WOW! Is it for the holiday season? As for the paint color.... Our dining room is sort of a "pukey" color as well (LOL). Ours is called Ramie and the trim is Sawdust... just a hint of green to it... Have you matched it up to some things you'll be putting in your room? I can never pick a paint color until after I chose the flooring, some curtains, furniture, pillows, etc... whatever I'm going to put in the room. It'll be fun to see your room finished!
Saturday, November 29, 2008 04:49 PM

Laura
Oh Cynthia I only WISH we had matched the color to something! :Actually, Jackson chose the color and I went along with it because it does seem to be a nice color. The boys discussed red and also black/gold (Steelers colorsso the Oat Straw seemed like a good choice in comparison! :We did manage to match the carpet that is going in to the paint... but our furniture doesn't match. It is just old furniture, but I am hoping to get some slip covers or something to make it a bit better. Ah well.... it will be the boys "hang out" room so I guess all will be okay.
Saturday, November 29, 2008 08:13 PM

Laura
Oh, forgot to mention, Cynthia.... the baking was primarily for a little in home bakery I have. So mostly for other people!
Saturday, November 29, 2008 08:16 PM

Amy
Wow! I've never even made a single loaf of bread! I wish we lived closer so that I could learn from you...
Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:14 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!