Tuesday, April 1, 2008

From the Earth to the Moon





We are working our way through watching the mini-series “From the Earth to the Moon”. This is a terrific mini-series!! I highly recommend it! I remember when it first aired on HBO a decade ago.... we actually subscribed to HBO in order to watch it. (We also got rid of HBO right after it finished airing!!!!) :)

I have always had a major fascination with the space program and NASA. This mini-series is quite faithful to actual events and presents them in a docu-drama format that is enjoyable to watch, yet highly educational. I remember when I heard Jim Lovell speak at the Lyceum a few years ago.... he talked about Tom Hanks and this mini-series with high regard. Of course, Tom Hanks had portrayed him in the movie Apollo 13, but Lovell stated that he grew to respect Hanks for his passion for flight/space and his integrity in portraying NASA and the Apollo programs authentically in “From the Earth to the Moon”.

This mini-series expertly blends live action drama with actual footage of real people and events. Even though we “already know the ending”, each episode is truly riveting and oftentimes, inspiring. For instance, today we watched episode 4 entitled simply “1968”. It is about the Apollo 8 mission around Christmas 1968 when Jim Lovell, Frank Borman and William Anders piloted the first ever manned orbit of the moon. I was on the edge of my seat right along with the characters in NASA control “wondering” if they would truly be able to break out of the orbit of the moon in order to safely return home to Earth. :) :) :)
Something else about this particular episode caught my attention.... the 3 astronauts read aloud the Creation story straight out of Genesis during a Christmas Eve radio address that was broadcast on national television. Not only was it a powerful moment in the mini-series (yes, I did cry), but it struck me that our astronauts could in no way do that today. And, I fear, we could no longer rally a nation to the TV set to listen in. That truly makes me sad, in a number of ways.

Above all, this mini-series reminds me of the tremendous courage and determination of so many scientists, astronauts and perhaps most importantly, their families. The enormity of JFK’s charge to “land a man on the moon” is awe inspiring - and this mini-series effectively portrays that journey with authenticity, drama and heart.

1 Comment

Donna
Oh this looks good! I think all my guys would really like it. I love hearing what others have enjoyed. We'll have to watch....
Wednesday, April 2, 2008 - 03:04 PM 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!