How can we thank God enough for you in return for all the joy that we feel before our God because of you? 1 Thessalonians 3:9
Rejoice!
Merry Christmas to all! We hope that you are enjoying this wonderful season of celebration and thanksgiving. We are amazed at how quickly the month is flying by! As I sit and write this letter the snow is softly falling and all is peaceful and serene. Snow in December is beautiful! The boys are itching to get out the sleigh and the sleds. We are enjoying this time of Advent and savoring all the special moments of the season. Since last years ice storms and power outages prevented us from decorating for the holidays, this year we went all out. The boys helped me set out almost every decoration we own! The house now feels cheery and festive and we are ready to welcome family and friends.
James has spent a good deal of the year in Okinawa in the Marine Corp. but will be heading to Iraq in February. We have told him we will keep him covered in prayer and would deeply appreciate your prayers as well. He will soon be in California for final training allowing Julie and Anna to fly out and spend Christmas with him. This will be the first Christmas in many years that we aren’t able to all be together as a family, but we will be together in spirit and, thanks to video iChat, together via computer for at least part of the day!
Anna is 15 and a lovely young woman, inside and out. Her
intelligence and wit only add to her natural beauty. Recently,
Mom, Julie and I helped Anna get ready for her
Winter Dance - a lovely evening with 3 generations of “Magruder” women laughing and
doing makeup and hair. :) Anna looked quite
grown up.... where did my little rock collecting,
snake loving niece go? :) Hard to believe it has
been 10 years since Julie, James and Anna
moved to Kirksville. Years... how they take so
long, yet go so fast.
Julie continues in her position at Truman at the Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning. She gave several of us a history filled tour of her offices during the Magruder Reunion this summer.
Kerry, Candace and the girls are still in Oklahoma, although Rachel, their oldest ‘girl’, married her sweetheart, Stephen, in August. Like her parents before her, the wedding was held outside in the midst of nature.... a lovely setting. We so enjoyed getting to meet Stephen’s family and felt an instant rapport with them. We are excited that Rachel and Stephen will also be able to join us for a belated Christmas celebration at the end of the month. Hannah spent several weeks visiting us all here in Kirksville this past summer and we so hope she can join us again this coming summer. We are so proud to announce that Kerry has been named the new Curator of the History of Science Collection at OU beginning in January. I highly encourage you to visit Kerry and the library if you ever get a chance. Kerry gives AMAZING tours!!!
Jennifer is in Columbia working at the International Center at MU. We love the fact that she is close enough to join us for family dinners and celebrations. She is taking some graduate study courses in addition to working full time.
If you can believe it, Mom and Daddy have discovered something that they are not very good at. They flunked retirement! :) On Valentine’s Day 2008 Daddy became President of A.T. Still University. It seems like a bit of deja vu with their new schedule - reminiscent of the Truman presidency days. However, we still get to see them almost every day and are so grateful that we all live out here at Willis Creek Ranch together. That is especially wonderful when we get to host the annual Magruder Reunion, as we did this summer. What a joy and an honor to gather with family from all over the country for a weekend of laughter, good food and visiting. So many memories were made and it was especially fun to see the younger cousins having such a grand time together.
We again spent two weeks camping at the MO State Fair. This has become a favorite family tradition. This year Aunt Aleta joined us for a few days since she was already visiting following Rachel and Stephen’s wedding. We also enjoyed a trip to Springfield, IL for the Brimer Reunion and a surprise 50th wedding anniversary party for Uncle Dale and Aunt Joyce.
And now, I find that I am Mom to an almost teenager. How can that be? Jackson will be 13 in January and is already looking forward to turning 15 and driving with a permit. Yikes!! He has discovered a love and talent for photography and is working on creating his own website to showcase his efforts. He has a very creative eye and his photos often reflect that. This summer Hannah and Rachel taught him how to swing dance. Jackson wasn’t so sure until he realized that a good dancer has the potential to be a “girl magnet”. Uh, oh. He is really quite good (takes after his father!) and got the chance to show off his skill in August at Rachel and Stephen's wedding reception. He continues to love Taekwon Do, earning his blue belt this year and preparing for an upcoming test for Red tip.

Jonathan is 9 years old and really growing up. This summer he discovered he was finally tall enough to drive both the go kart and the lawn mower. He was quite proud of both feats! He also grudgingly joined his brother in tennis this year and was amazed to discover that he loves it! Jonathan has a tendency keep us humble with his insights. Last week as we were driving home from Pancake City I overheard his sweet little voice say “I know why Daddy chose Mom. Because she is kinda pretty and she can eat a whole Starvin’ Man breakfast platter!” Ugh... I start therapy next week.
Marvin continues to work with our horses. His patience with horses (and humans!) is admirable and appreciated. :) Jackson made a special video slideshow for Marvin for Veteran’s Day called “My Dad, My Hero”. It was a fitting tribute to the man who anchors our family with his steadfast love and support. You can see the video on my blog. (It takes a while to load....)
This year I have been working on documenting family history through video, photos and stories. I am hoping to compile a multi media family history and am learning that it will take much longer than I initially anticipated. I struggle with trying to keep my ‘vision’ for the project from getting completely out of hand... after all, we have a LOT of great family history to compile.... how can you leave any out? I continue to bake bread, keep up the family blog and try to keep one step ahead of the boys. :) One activity I always look forward to is my trips to the Amish store. Those who read my blog know that I cherish these short trips and the solitude, peace and opportunity for unfettered thoughts. I let my mind wander - I allow my eyes to indulge in the fields and quiet farms. No matter the season, the natural beauty restores me. I turn up my Nichole Nordeman CD and sing really loud (and slightly off key, I am afraid) - giving thanks to my Lord for so many undeserved gifts.
It has taken me so long to get this Christmas letter written. I’ve been caught up in the mundane daily happenings and couldn’t get my focus on the letter. I began to wonder if I would ever get it done! When I would finally carve out a moment to sit and write, my concentration would be broken by something or someone. Initial irritation would give way to melancholy gratitude and a quick snuggle with my little guy who is almost too big for my lap.... or a hasty kiss from my soon to be teenager - I’ll take all of those I can get! (There is nothing like reviewing old Christmas letters to make me see that my boys are indeed growing up so fast.) Then would come a shoulder rub and cup of hot tea from the man I am still in love with, after 15 years. Ahhhh.... my wonderful, mundane, ordinary life. Yet, there is such majesty in the mundane! My grateful heart just overflows with thanksgiving!
Then, my thoughts turned to all of you. I smiled as I reviewed our mailing list and pictured your faces. What blessings we have been given through our relationships with each of you. Often, we are unaware of the impact we have on others lives through simple kindnesses or acts of compassion and love. As I think of all of you I am awed by the beauty that you have brought to this world. Truly, you have “clothed yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience”. So, in this season of celebration and thanksgiving, let us say “thank you” for the impact you have had on our lives. We count you among our many blessings. May you have much joy and peace this holiday season.
With all our love,
Merry Christmas!
Marvin, Laura, Jackson and Jonathan
“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.... And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:12b, 14
4 Comments
Kerry
Beautiful! Thank you, Laura, for voicing our thoughts, too. I am honored to share life with you, sis.
PEACE Kerry
Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:28 PM
De'Etta
Merry Christmas, Laura and family. Thanks for sharing your life with us via your blogs and correspondence.
Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:23 AM
Kristine
Laura, love the letter, and it's been fun to look back on your year with you as I can remember many of the posts!
(That Jonathan quote just cracks me up!) Merry Christmas, dear friend!
Friday, December 26, 2008 - 07:52 PM
Donna
Laura, this look back at the year is great. I have so enjoyed your blog and getting to know you, friend. Thanks for not being a stalker. lol. :)
Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 06:27 PM




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!