Thursday, October 9, 2008

Cheesy Potatoes





This is one of those recipes that I don’t have a recipe for.... I just do it.  I am sure most cheesy potato recipes are the same.  :)  However, Jennifer likes to know “what I do” so I will try to put it down here.  

I did overcook these this time - as the photo shows.  Usually I cook them in the Pampered Chef stoneware lid and bowl - covered - and they cook up nice and moist, but gently golden.  Oh well.

Slice up however many potatoes you need.  Peel them if you are so inclined.  :)

How to make the sauce to pour over the potatoes....          First, brown some butter in the pan, then cut up onions and saute in the butter until golden.  Add salt, pepper, and any other seasoning you might like.... (I sometimes add some garlic or seasoned salt... sometimes I don’t.)  Then add flour and make a “roux” - slightly golden.  Pour in milk, about a cup at a time, mixing very well to keep it all smooth.  (I usually make such a huge batch of these that my proportions will be out of whack for most folks.)  Either cut up Velveeta into cubes or use shredded cheese of your choice - put in pot, stirring until melted through.  :)  Precise, huh?

Then pour the whole mess of sauce over all the sliced up potatoes. Cover and bake..... you can bake them at 300 degrees for a longer period of time or at 375 for a shorter period of time.... or at 325 for somewhere in the middle.... get the idea?  Helpful, aren’t I?  Sorry....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!