Thursday, October 9, 2008

De'Etta's Moosewood Refried Beans



I got this wonderful recipe from De’Etta’s blog - Choosing Joy.  You can check it out here....

We had this for dinner tonight... in tortillas with shredded cheese.  They were YUMMY!  I will never buy canned refried beans again!  I have made note of the changes I made within the recipe - in italics.


2 C raw pinto beans   (I used 2 cups raw navy beans - it's what I had)  :)
6 C water  (I actually ended up using about 8 cups of water, but I did mine in the stoneware baker combo, not a crockpot)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C chopped onion
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 C minced green pepper (I didn't have any so left this out)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 C rice (used organic brown long grain rice - may also have something to do with why I needed more water)
SEASONINGS - instead of the seasonings listed above, I just used a bunch of garlic salt, Pampered Chef Southwestern Seasoning and some onion flakes.  That's it.  None of the others.  

The crock pot instructions are below.... I just put all of this in my round PC stoneware combo and put it in the oven on about 300 degrees around 10:30 am and then took it out about 4:30 pm.  I checked it periodically - added some water here and there and even added a little seasoning near the end after a taste test.  :)  It could have gone longer - would have been fine.  Might just lower the temp to 250 to go longer.  Or use the crock pot like below.

Mix all in your crock pot. Cook on high. At 5 hours it was "beans and rice", by 8 hours I only had to stir and it was mashed...with a few chunks...we like chunks. I could have put it in the blender or mixer and made it really smooth. Add oil if you like the taste of the fat. You could fry it if you'd like.

We ate some for dinner and I froze the rest. I doubled the recipe and it was great in my 7 qt pot. I added the rice because I didn't want to have to drain the liquid from the beans...worked well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate hearing from you!